Sunday, September 13

Disney Copycats - The Swan Princess and the Frog Princess?

Hey ho! It's my first blog post! Yaaay! (crowd goes wild, banners reading 'yaay!' wave in the air surrounded by streamers and balloons) Thank you, thank you!

Now, onto the first blog post! (yyaayy!!!)
I was watching the new trailer for Walt Disney's eagerly aniticipated The Frog Princess (you can find it here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8N-kIiELUA ) and I couldnt helt noticing several similarities between it and New Line Stars 1994 animated-musical The Swan Princess.

Now, I always thought that it was films like these (The Swan Princess, Anatasia) that seemed to copy off Disney - but this seems to be an exception.

Here are the screen captures from several clips of both films. The first one is a shot of Madame Odies magic.

Notice the watery like magic and the way that it seems to wrap itself round what evers inside? Well here a shot from The Swan Princess, from the sequences where Odette transforms into a swan...
Now I did have trouble getting suitable screen-shots, but they are very, very similar.
Now, even if Disney liked the designs and visuals for the Swan Princess, I thought they'd have been more careful about using them, especially when they come from one of the best loved non-Disney animated films.
Mabye its nothing - but it bothers me. I would always expect Disney to do something completly new, rather than look to other films for ideas.
What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Let me know - leave a comment.